Jensenfan1978's playlist


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Supernatural Death Note Chapter 3

Authors: Lady Laran and Tisha Wyman Warnings: Bad language, violence, and some sex. Spoilers: My favorite show is Supernatural. Anyone who knows me will say I am almost obsessed, unless they happen to be Laran, who knows I am. Laran loves Death Note. We both love to write. Never in our wildest dreams did we ever think we'd be writing an alternate universe/crossover between the two. What started as a several chapter story has turned into a novel The story had a life of its own. This saga begins towards the end of season 4 and before L truly got involved with the Death Note. This is a story of healing, family,friendship, humor, and horror. We do not own either show or its characters, but I'd take Dean in a heartbeat. We make no money from them. Thank you for reading. Comments are highly appreciated.

Research

L took this time to speak. "Indeed. Now, I believe we should discuss where to go in regards to the case."

Dean nodded, looking at the laptop he had been loaned. “You got any files on everything that has been happening? I need to know times, places, dates, everything, even if it's tiny. Little things can give you the answer some times. This is bothering me because, I've never seen bodies messed up like this before.”

Matt spoke up. "Folder labeled with the town name. All the data is there. We keep things organized."

Dean opened the folder on the computer and started reading. He looked up, “Could I get another cup of coffee. This is gonna take a while and alcohol is not a good idea right now. I need a clear head for this.”

Watari placed a tray near Dean's elbow, complete with coffee, the condiments, and a pastry in case the other was hungry. L was at his own chair, sitting in his odd way, sucking on a lollipop as he read through a file on his laptop. Typing could be heard from the heirs as well.

Dean's serious face looked at the apple pie, and Watari saw something none of the others had experienced yet...the Dean Winchester charm. His eyes lit up and kindness showed in them, the laugh wrinkles showing, and there was a beautiful smile, as he murmured, “Thank you.”

"I take it apple pie is your preferred sweet, Mr. Winchester?"

A large grin formed for a minute. “Hell, yes. Ever since I was a kid. We had some at a restaurant. Bobby let me have a slice all my own, and I didn't have to share it with Sammy. That was rare, you know. Best tasting thing I ever had. I like all pies but apple is my favorite.”

The older man smiled, eyes twinkling mischievously. "Then I will ensure to keep some on hand for you."

Dean's eyes responded, then he said quietly, “Seriously? That would be awesome. I don't get to have it as much as I'd like. Thanks.”

"Are there other foods you enjoy?" He was used to keeping food on hand at all hours.

“I enjoy a good breakfast for one thing. The meal you fixed tonight was fantastic. And, I love a good cheeseburger and fries. You have awesome coffee, good and strong. Thank you, but you don't need to bring anything for it because I drink it black. I do like a soda once in a while and bottled water. That's all I can think off. Thank you for asking.”

Watari gave a small bow. "Part of my responsibilities is to take care of the detectives I am with. L and Mello are fairly easy to provide for. Please tell me if a craving should come your way."

Dean thanked him again, wondering what difficulties Watari had with Matt and Near. He ate a bite of the pie, his eyes closing again, in enjoyment. He held the coffee cup and went back to reading the history of the case. He began to frown as he read. “I can't think of a damn thing that meets this, but a lot of things escaped when Heaven's Gate was opened. Could be something we haven't seen before. That's a damn scary thought. We need to back track to ancient legends and see what we can find. If this has never been seen, we are in deep shit.”

Matt peered at Dean through his goggles. "Are there any online resources you typically use? I'm pretty good at research?"

“Sammy's laptop was brought in? Open it and he has a file that has all the sites. We've come up against some weird shit so far.”

He nodded, scurrying after the computer. After a few moments, the teen made a face. "Slow."

L cleared his throat. "Not everyone has the advantages we do, Matt."

He winced. "Sorry."

Dean cleared his throat. “In our work, you don't get paid. That's the one reason we have criminal records for credit card fraud. We have to live to do the job. People are grateful but they damn well don't pay you. That was all we could afford.”

The senior detective frowned, removing the lollipop for a moment. "Understandable. Unfortunately, my heirs are not as familiar with that type of life, which is why Matt was reminded of that."

“As I said before, you don't know us...you only know what's in police reports and newspaper articles, and maybe a few eyewitness reports, but not the real ones. People who know what we do, say nothing. Who the hell would believe them? Life as a hunter is hell, man.”

Mello sighed. "He apologized..let it go. You don't need to keep harping on it."

Dean snapped, “You know, living life as a smart ass towards adults will have you ending up like me. I was explaining what it's like, since you guys seem to have whatever you want. Okay. Now, you can cut the crap because I don't deal with it.”

The blond stared at him, then shrugged. He didn't answer to the other..just L and Watari.

Dean snorted, but the damage had been done. The older Winchester brother went back to doing what he did best...he clammed up. Another thing L did not know was he was not open about himself, his family, and certainly, not his emotions. He'd said more this night then he had in ages. None of them realized that they'd just lost that. Watari might be the exception, he'd seen the man's eyes go steely, and then dull, and a strange look appeared on his face, and was gone in a fleeting instant. He was now all business.

"Mello," came the flatly spoken comment from L. "The attitude is not appreciated."

A mumbled sorry came from around a mouth full of chocolate.

Dean nodded and said, “It's not important. Going back to this thing. I don't remember anything like this. Bobby has tons of ancient books. He might be my best source.” Dean got out his cell and called South Dakota and Bobby Singer.

L continued typing in his odd manner, researching through the 'net on what he could find that could possibly match this case.

“Hey, Bobby. Nah, we didn't get any days off yet. Yeah, Bobby, I know we need it. Look, we got a nasty one and I sure as hell can't figure what it is. Your computer up? I'm gonna send you an email. See what you can dig up, would ya? I don't have your resources, and I don't think this world has seen this thing in centuries....maybe longer then that. Yeah. Thanks, Bobby. I know, it's not easy right now. Sammy's got problems, so rest will have to wait. Okay. Bye, Bobby.”

Dean turned to L. “ You have my files then you know who the hell he is.
How much of this can I send him?”

L pointed at Matt who grinned. "I have a file ready to send. You got an addy for me?"

Dean gave him the email address, mumbling, “You know he's gonna wonder who the hell this is coming from. You ain't hunters and he will gather that pretty fast. This may be a need to know basis, but Bobby Singer is the best when it comes to research. He's got stuff you've never even dreamed of.”

Near looked up. "Perhaps this Bobby Singer would be willing to share information."

“You're damned right he will. That's why I called him. Bobby's family to me, and he's a hunter. We'll know whatever he can find. Might take some time. He actually uses books.”

He gave a vague pleased look. "Good."

Dean's serious expression melted a little at Near's response. He knew the boy had problems, but like himself, he carried on. Dean found himself admiring this one with more then just a little respect. He wasn't disrespectful or an ass, both of which his dad would have beat out of him.

L tilted his head. "If he has the resources you speak of, I wonder if he would be willing to allow technicians to scan and electronically upload his library to a database."

“You'd have to ask. Some of the stuff he has no one knows is in existence Some of it is dangerous for anyone to know it is real. Have to ask him.”

"I believe I will."

Dean nodded and reached for his dad's journal, a thickly stuffed notebook with papers hanging out of it.

Near blinked. "Dean Winchester, what is that?"

“My dad's journal. Sam's building a data base of everything in it. When we are at Bobby's he scans newspaper articles and everything into it. Dad's notes he types in.”

"Does Dean Winchester require assistance with that? As the group is waiting for a response, this would be a simple project."

“A lot of it is on Sam's computer, He's set up categories and stuff. If you don't a have problem with a slower machine, sure. You can do it. Just look at what he's doing. The papers and stuff have to be scanned.”

Matt grinned. "I can set it up with a more efficient database. I think I've got enough hardware on hand to modify this to run better for him too."

“That would be great. Thank you.” Dean went back to going through the journal looking for anything he may have missed, but it was useless. He handed to the journal to Near, and leaned back and closed his eyes which were burning from exhaustion. He sat up a few minutes later, and asked Watari if he could have another cup of coffee.

Another was brought quickly, though the older man rested a hand on his shoulder. "You should try to get some rest, Mr. Winchester. This lull is a good opportunity to try."

“I have these stages like this where I can't sleep. I have way too much on my mind. I tried almost every night on the drive here. Tossing and turning is only worse. I'll just drink the coffee and it will keep me wired and awake. That's what I need right now. Probably won't get much til this is over.”

L's voice was soft. "Watari has some mild sleeping aids that will help. You should take advantage of this peace and quiet.”

“Alcohol does it too and that's what I usually use, or company when I feel the need. I don't do sleeping pills. Too dangerous, but thank you. I'll drop when I hit that point.”

"As you wish."

Dean ignored the concern, not thinking it was serious. Very few people really cared. Bobby, Ellen, and Jo did...Sam used to. He winced at that thought, wanting to push the demon killing knife through Ruby's chest and watch her die, knowing it would be permanent. He drank the strong coffee, knowing it would keep him awake but make him jittery in a while. Too much to search for and he was waiting on Bobby.

Watari laid a plate with a sandwich beside him. "This will help with the jittery issues from caffeine"

Dean looked up, surprised. “Thank you.” He took the plate and bit into what he considered to be a great sandwich. He enjoyed it more then he normally would a regular sandwich.

The elderly gentleman smiled, then moved to Near's side, putting down some food and softly insisting the small white haired teen eat.

Dean smiled as he watched the older man bullying the young teen to eat some food, pleased the boy had someone to care for him in such a way.

L chuckled softly, watching the pair and noticing Dean watching. "Near tends to forget to eat when he is involved with his projects. We try to look out for him, but Watari is always more cautious."

Dean nodded, “Sammy's like that..forgetting to eat when he's involved in something.” Dean closed his eyes for a second. He yawned slightly, frowning, and went back to the computer.

"It can happen."

“Yes, it can. For his own good, I had to bully him to eat. I figure one of these days, he's gonna retaliate in kind...if we live through all of this.”

Dark eyes fastened on Dean. "I do not see why we should not."

Dean looked puzzled, “Should not what?”

"Survive."

Dean frowned, a puzzled look in his eyes again. “I agree we should survive but how does that relate to making someone eat?”

"Your prior statement about your brother retaliating in kind if we live through all of this."

“I meant his concern over my drinking, the women, no sleep, and the risks I take. What do you mean by that?”

"That was what I was wondering as well."

“What? My way of life? What I do that he worries about helps me cope.”

"No, why you believed that all of us could not survive. Your phrasing indicated that you believe something negative is on the horizon." He took a sip of his tea.

“Cas told me that since I started it, I would finish it. Killing Lucifer would seem to be what he means. Not sure. If we can stop some things, we might even prevent it, but I'm not sure. Hell, I'm not sure I even want to care about it, but I do. It's our world, okay.”

L held up a hand. "I believe you should start from the beginning. The others are occupied and would not interrupt"

Dean looked the other man in the eyes and weighed his options. “What the hell. There's nothing you can do anyway. You might as well know what I unleashed and have to stop. I went to hell, as I said before. I tortured people. When I shed the blood of another person, I broke the first major seal to release Lucifer. There's this demon, Lilith, who Sam's trying to kill, who had me killed by the hell hounds She's breaking all these seals, but my breaking the first one brought all this on. If Lucifer gets free, I'm the one, according to prophecy, who has to stop him. Isn't that a joke? The Apocalypse in the book of Revelation in the Bible is right around the corner. There's no place to hide.”

A dark eyebrow arched. "And you are following an antiquated book and ideal system simply because these 'beings' said that this is how it has to work?"

“I've never been one to believe in any of this crap, but I've seen things that should not exist. It's real, whether you or I believe in it. Castiel says God exists. I laugh at that, but he thinks I'll meet God. Cas says it's my job. Hell, I'm tired. I want to just stop and run, but I can't. Millions of people will die, and I can't let that happen.”

L stared at him for a moment. "I am at a loss as to how to comment there. This Castiel may have met one powerful being but as to whether or not this should rest solely on you, no. This is I believe is a very large mistake. Humans are by nature prone to mistakes. If they want this stopped, then they should take action themselves. Most humans are not equipped to handle this type of task."

“Well, there's a prophet who says otherwise.” Dean almost laughed. “I have to show you something because I wouldn't have believed it either. Dean went into the other room and dug in Sam's duffel. He returned with a bunch of graphic novels. “These have been written the last couple of years and have a cult following of real weirdos. Don't ask. Any way, each one of these is about our lives and hunts. This guy wrote them before they happened, man. Castiel says he's a prophet, and I don't even want to believe the rest, okay.”

He took a book between two fingers and began to skim over the pages. "Drivel..sheer drivel. He actually sold these?"

“Yeah, I would feel the same way if he hadn't written them before those stories actually happened to us. Every damn one of them is true and the dates on the books are before they really happened. I don't know how the hell he has done it, but he's still writing and predicting what will happen.

"If I believed in such things, I would suggest a psychic of some kind. As it stands, I believe in neither psychics nor prophets."

“You know, I hate to burst your bubble, man, but unbelief can get you killed in my world. It's a just a warning. Chuck didn't believe he was doing anything but writing this drivel, and I would have thought it was the same thing if it weren't almost verbatim about us. Some of what he did with it makes me sick. He's got a sick fan base too. That's as far as I want to go with it.”

L nodded, eyes moving back to the laptop screen. "I suppose it is more of a wait and see type of thing. I do suggest caution in regards as to what these beings want from you. It does not make sense to put this into hands of humans."

“Cas is the only one I halfway trust, and that took some time. He believes this stuff. I'm not a big believer in what I can't see, but lately, crazy things have been going on. My only concern is keep to friends and family safe, and save the world from ruin.”

“Hmmm “





No comments:

Post a Comment